Saturday, August 30, 2014

My First Book Made into a Movie! [SPOILER for the movie and book IF I STAY]

I've never had one of the books I have read turn into a movie. I didn't read Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Divergent, or any of the other books that have become movies. I'm the type to read romance novels or shoujo manga. I mean sometimes the romance novels I read turn out to have more mystery than anything but for the most part I read boy meets girl type books. Cliche, I know but I'm more picky with what books I read that I let on. But anyways, could you imagine how excited I felt when I heard If I Stay was being turned into a movie?! Like my cousin had her book, Beautiful Creatures, turned into a movie and now it was my turn!


I read If I Stay a few years ago and recently I've been reading Where She Went (the sequel) when I got a chance to slip into Barns N Nobles on my work breaks.

It was a good book and there was many parts that made me swoon. I liked how the book was different, being that it had to do with music. I have to admit that bad boy meets good girl is a bit cliche but what isn't now a days?

So anyways! The movie came out on the 22nd of August and I went to see it on the 24th with my friend.
I wanted to talk during the WHOLE movie! Lol. They made Adam so DISTRACTINGLY hot! He was so hot that he became my first MCM (Man Crush Monday) on Instagram. Ps. Jamie Blackley (Adam) doesn't look as hot without hair... (he usually keeps it short)



I also feel like they casted the roll of Adam well but I'm not sure about the roll of Mia. I felt like Chloe Grace Moretz acting was alright for the most part but sometimes I didn't like how she sounded and expressed her reactions to things. The other members of the cast fit their rolls so well! I was really impressed.

I'm getting side tracked! So I was ready to cry at the part where Mia sees the ambulance and doesn't know what's happening. HOWEVER, from how I remembered it in the book she literally stood over her family's BLOODY bodies on the snow. In the movie she only saw her mom's arm. I think that definitely took away from the impact that that scene was supposed to have, so I didn't end up crying.


Another part that I was looking forward to was when Mia was supposed to play Adam like her cello and Adam play Mia his guitar. I felt like that was a part of the book that made it stand out a bit more than a typical boy meets girl story. I mean they brushed on it in the movie but that didn't do it justice.

When books are made into movies, I feel like they omit all or parts of the book that the readers are looking forward to seeing in the movie. However, I guess you can't please everyone because not everyone thinks the same scenes hold the same amount of significance.



But anyways! Enough of the cons of the movie, on to the pros.

This is another inappropriate comment i have regarding the movie. Did I mention Jamie Blackley was TOO HOT as Adam? In addition to being hot, he could kiss too. I feel like they WANTED you to know that. There were so many kissing scenes! Lol.


I also liked the movie soundtrack. I want almost every song, especially the one Mia played at Julliard.

All in all, I liked the movie and I think that a majority of the movie did the book justice. I would recommend the movie to people that have read the book. For people who haven't, I am not sure you will like it unless you are just a sucker for love stories. I think they picked a bad time to release this movie because it was almost right after Fault in Our Stars came out, and this movie doesn't have as strong as an impact. In addition, people will compare the two  movies and as far as I have seen, this movie has been getting lower ratings.

But I cant wait to read the sequel, "Where She Went" and I hope they make that one into a movie too.

No comments:

Post a Comment